You're following the keto diet, you're exercising multiple times a week, and your body is looking DAMN-GOOD! The problem is, no matter how "healthy" of a lifestyle you're living there are still outside factors that can negatively affect how you're feeling inside, even if you look amazing on the outside.
Do you ever wish your body had a "reset" button? Sometimes we feel bloated, heavy, foggy, and overall just yucky. You don't need to do anything drastic in the form of "detoxes" or "cleanses"; there are small things you can do daily that will make a BIG difference in how you're feeling overall. Some steps you can take to give your body the extra support it needs to carry on its natural processes are stated here in our Five Wellness Tips for your Mind, Body, & Soul! These will have you glowing from the inside out, just give them a try!
Wellness Tip No. 1
1. This little hack is as old as time, DRINK WATER.
Dehydration is a sneaky little sucker. Although summer and its hot sweaty days are over, it is still essential that we are drinking enough water every day. We recommend drinking at least 2 liters of water every single day. Take your water to the next level by adding lemon to it, and ingesting a hot cup of lemon water first thing in the morning! Not only does hot water hydrate you faster, but lemon is a natural detox that reduces bloating. It also has rejuvenating effects and will give your skin that healthy dewy glow!
Wellness Tip No. 2
2. Boost your anti-inflammatory foods.
Anti-inflammatory foods are foods that every mainstream nutritionist would urge you to eat! A lot of people prefer eliminating gluten and dairy from their diet. Thats bad news bears for us keto dieters as healthy fats from dairy make up a huge fraction of our diet. Fear not! You can keep your cheeses and cream while upping your intake of these anti-inflammatory foods:
- Turmeric - pretty much at the top of the list of anti-inflammatory spices you can eat. The most important active ingredient being carcumin which gets rid of pain and inflammation. Next time your stomach is bothering you, sprinkle some turmeric in some lemon water and drink up! Say goodbye to painkillers like Advil and Ibuprofen that have gut damaging side affects.
- Coffee - you know we're big advocates for everything coffee. Coffee is a great source of polyphenols -- antioxidants that prevent inflammation and protect our cells from stress.
- Fish - if you don't eat fish, you should start now. Throw fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines on your plate at least twice a week. These fishies are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which fight inflammation. You want to incorporate omega-3-rich fatty acids in your diet while avoiding omega-6-fatty acids. Cut back on vegetable oil and grain-fed beef and opt in for coconut oils and grass-fed beef!
- Colorful Fruits & Vegetables - while the Keto diet doesn't call for most fruits, berries are amazing at reducing inflammation. Go for variety and lots of different colors when it comes to your fruits and veggies. It's been proven that vitamin-k rich leafy greens like spinach, kale, broccoli, and cabbage aid in reducing inflammation. The substance that gives fruits like cherries, raspberries, and blackberries their color is a type of pigment that also helps fight inflammation.
Wellness Tip No. 3
3. Set aside an hour a day for self care!
We recommend using something our friend Catherine from TheBlissfulMind.com calls "The Power Hour Method." You'll be surprised at how productive and positive you feel giving yourself an extra hour every day! If you're like me, and mornings are a battle between you and your snooze button, you may need to download the "Alarmly" app to get yourself up an hour earlier than usual.
Check out these three categories -- Mind, Body, & Soul.
Start by picking one activity from each category that you find exciting and enjoyable.
Now that you've chosen your activities, you're going to start your morning by performing each activity for 20 minutes, 1 hour in total! You don't have to go in any particular order, just pick the one that excites you most and do it first! For me, I enjoy starting off with guided meditations first thing in the morning. You'll thank yourself afterwards!
Wellness Tip No. 4
4. Implement a skin care routine.
Men, whether you're a bearded wonder or clean shaven, you need to care for your skin. There are awesome monthly boxes such as Dollar Shave Club that will send you new razors, body wash, face wash, deodorants, and lotions.
For the ladies, Lush cosmetics and Ulta have an abundance of skin care products that will leave you feeling silky smooth from your head to your toes. My go-to's are any natural exfoliating facial scrubs, illuminating face moisturizers, and luxurious body butters!
Wellness Tip No. 5
5. Practice Positive Affirmations
Make sure to frequently give yourself words of encouragement. It may seem silly at first, but you'll notice a change in your day to day once you start omitting positivity into the universe. Talk yourself up, you deserve it! You can tell yourself things like:
- I am safe and secure
- I have people in my life who love me
- I am unique and interesting
I hope you find these 5 tips helpful. Feel free to share with us and others the steps you take in your self care regimen, we would love to hear from you!